10 Tips for Keeping Your Identity Safe by Thirtyseven4 Antivirus
Use of complex and lengthy passwords and strong antivirus software protection, two security measures immediately needed to prevent your confidential information from becoming stolen and misused
“With the recent news of high-profile celebrities, such as Jay-Z and Mel Gibson, having their PII stolen and posted on websites for public viewing, the average person seems to have gained a heightened awareness of the reality and severity of these situations. Because of these recent events, the time is now to educate users on how to avoid letting their personal information be manipulated,” said Steven Sundermeier, Owner of Thirtyseven4.
Thirtyseven4 suggests the following precautionary measures to reduce the risks of getting your PII stolen:
1) Never reveal your personal details/passwords to anyone. This includes family, relatives, coworkers and even a best friend.
2) Avoid conducting professional work on personal devices, as personal devices with confidential data can be lost or accessed illegally.
3) Be cautious while participating on social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter. Avoid posting phone numbers, email addresses, exact locations or other sensitive data.
4) Use complex and lengthy passwords, and change them periodically.
5) When entering personal information to a website, always look for the padlock that’s located on the left of the location bar of the web address. By clicking on the padlock, you can view the security certificate details for the site. A fraudulent site will not have these details.
6) Don’t follow links without knowing what they link to (i.e. shortened URL’s).
7) Apply the latest security updates whenever required by an application – such as Operating System updates (Windows, Mac, etc) or other programs like Java, Adobe, etc.
8) Limit access to removable drives and shared drives.
9) Install strong antivirus software, making sure it remains up-to-date and scanned at regular intervals
10) Use common sense! Many risks are identifiable, and must be approached with caution.
Evaluation licenses of Thirtyseven4 Antivirus are available at: http://thirtyseven4.com/downloads.html. For more information contact Thirtyseven4 at 877-374-7581.
Born out of a desire to better connect antivirus protection solutions with premium customer support and service, Thirtyseven4, LLC seeks to protect schools, businesses, governmental agencies and home-users with the best antivirus products available. Thirtyseven4 is an American company built on honesty, trust and value for the customer. http://www.thirtyseven4.com.